Advocacy & The Community Sector
One of our top priorities as a Sector Council is to advocate for organizations within our sector. In this section we will highlight the ways in which we have been actively advocating for support for Nonprofit & Voluntary organizations during the COVID-19 pandemic:
Join the Conversation!
If you are an ED, CEO, or Board Chair please fill out this sign-up form to join our online discussion forum (via Basecamp). This forum is a confidential space for leaders in Nonprofit & Voluntary organizations to discuss the numerous issues and challenges they are facing in light of COVID-19 as well as to provide us with direction on how we can support you as a Sector Council.
Resources to Support Advocacy
- The State of the Nonprofit Sector in Nova Scotia Report - by Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (APEC)
- Nonprofit Advocacy Series - by The Philanthropist
- Don't force charities and non-profits into crisis before wage subsidy kicks in - Article by Shannon Daub for Policy Note
- The Canadian Charitable Sector in COVID-19 and Beyond - Podcast by The Social Impact Advisors
- ONN Policy Paper Series - Protecting community assets through nonprofits: A three-part series from the Ontario Nonprofit Network (ONN)
Activities by other organizations
- Sector Letters to the Premier - Comprehensive List managed by Imagine Canada
- COVID-19 Member Impact Survey - Halifax Chamber of Commerce
- Impacts of COVID-19 on Canadians - Survey by Statistics Canada
- COVID-19 Impact Survey - Results of survey by Canadian Council of the Blind
- Open Letter to Directors, Executive Directors, and CEOs of Canadian Charities and Non-Profits - Senator Ratna Omidvar in The Philanthropist