Information about Unemployment Benefits during COVID-19:
- If an employee(s) is laid off due to COVID-19 and business reduction/closure, they must apply to EI as per regular protocol. More info on that can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit.html
- If an employee(s) is quarantined/self-isolated because they travelled, may have been in contact with someone infected, etc. they can apply for sickness benefits: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-sickness.html. At this time, the requirement for a medical certificate has been relaxed for these individuals*
- Please note: for both of these situations, an individual must otherwise qualify for EI benefits. (ie, have enough hours, have contributed for the adequate amount of time, etc.)
Information regarding employers issuing ROEs:
- If the employee is no longer working due to a shortage of work because the business has closed or decreased operations due to coronavirus (COVID-19), use code A (Shortage of work). Do not add comments.
- If the employee is affected by the virus, the reason for the ROE should be D – Illness or Injury.
- If the employee refuses to come to work but is not sick or quarantined, use code E (Quit) or code N (Leave of absence), as appropriate. Avoid adding comments unless absolutely necessary.
- *Employees who are NOT affected by the virus but are put on leave due to the COVID-19 virus can contact the government at 1-833-381-2725 should they have any questions.
- NOTE: Add comments only when required. Doing so causes the ROE to be pulled from the automatic processing queue for review by an agent, slowing down the process.
Contact Service Canada directly with questions