A 10-week program designed for current & emerging leaders of impact organizations across Nova Scotia
About the Program:
This proposed training program is designed to increase the core leadership skills of emerging and newly hired and nonprofit leaders from diverse communities. Providing them with robust skills and competencies in areas such as decision making, accountability, setting goals and strategies and allocating resources will prepare them for leading more innovative, diverse, resilient and successful organizations.
This training will address emerging challenges facing the nonprofit sector in areas such as attracting and retaining younger and more diverse leaders given labour growing shortages due to an ageing population. The nonprofit sector faces an even more serious leadership succession crisis than other sectors of the economy due to on average older age of current Executive Directors.
Components of the Program
A professional development opportunity designed for current and emerging leaders in the social sector to expand their knowledge and practice for leading high performing teams.
- Instructor: Bette Watson-Borg, MapleKey Coaching & Leadership maplekeycoaching.ca
- Offered virtually on Zoom
- Total of 30 hours over 10 weeks for group learning
- Tuesday March 30, 2021 - Tuesday June 01, 2021
- 9:15 am - 12:15 pm
- 1:1 @ 40-minute session with instructor before the program starts for Welcome and Discussion of Personal Learning Outcomes scheduled at mutual convenience (Week of March 22nd)
- 1@ 60-minute individual coaching session with instructor to debrief Team Leader View scheduled at mutual convenience.
- Using a variety of processes including presentation, full group discussions, break out groups, weekly assignments, videos, guest speakers and other facilitated processes.
- Maximum 12 learners to support network and relationship building and peer learning.
Nominate a Leader in Your Organization
Candidates must …
- Be new to their position (three years or less) in managing people. Examples include a CEO or executive director who has just joined an organization, a first-time manager who is learning how to effectively lead others or a professional who is new to overseeing a program or department.
- Commit to attending all sessions.
- Have expressed interest in continuing their professional journey to assume advanced management and leadership roles in the sector.
- Have the support from executive staff and senior leaders to attend, practice and implement what they’re learning through the program.
Bio of Trainer
Bette Watson-Borg, MA, ACC, CPCC, CTPC
Bette Watson-Borg, Principal of MapleKey Coaching & Leadership Development is an energetic, results oriented professional who brings to her coaching and leadership consulting practice over 30 years of experience in the non-profit sector, working across Canada in a diversity of roles. In 2000, she assumed the position of first female President and Chief Executive Officer of the YMCA of Greater Halifax in the 150 years of the organization. In 2015, she moved forward to further her professional leadership consulting practice.
In her current consulting practice, Bette partners with a diversity of individuals, groups and teams in thought-provoking and creative processes that inspire them to maximize their personal and professional potential, particularly important in today’s uncertain and complex environment. She brings a collegial perspective to executive and senior leaders, both staff and volunteer, who can benefit from working with someone who has "walked in their shoes". She supports emerging and mid-management professionals on a trajectory that is making a positive impact in our world and is passionate in working with students as they develop and strengthen their leadership skills and aspirations.